The individual eye Check-up
A VDU workstation eye test particularly provides spectacle wearers valuable information because, sometimes, the proper distance to the screen does not match the vision of the used eyeglasses.
Thus, a VDU workstation eye test can induce an appropriate optimisation of working conditions for VDU work.
VDU workstation eye test
Now, we have established a qualified eye test service particularly for VDU workers directly at a workstation, staffed with well-trained personnel and operated with specially designed computer software.
The VDU workstation eye test allows an adequate examination of the vision under optimally simulated VDU working conditions.
Repeated examination is recommended, with varying intervals according to Age:
- under the age of 40: every 5 years,
- over the age of 40: every 3 years.
Fitness rules for the eyes
A VDU workstation eye test does not only test your vision but provides information that shall help you optimise your individual behaviour in front of the screen. Many employees do not know
- that it is important to avert one’s gaze from the screen at least once every 15 min: have a short rest!
- that short breaks such as standing up for photocopying, faxing, or phoning represent a recreational value for the eye that should not be underestimated: more different Tasks!
- that the eyes occasionally grow drier because you automatically blink much less while working in front of the screen – usually 22 times per minute, at the screen only 7 times: blink more often!
The ideal design of the VDU workstation
Many VDU workstations are ergonomically not ideally designed – thus, they are not consistent with the legal Display Screen Equipment Directive:
This can cause a measurable loss of efficiency and is therefore neither conducive for the business nor for the employees.
Here are some parameters for the design of VDU workstations in accordance with the latest ergonomic findings:
rotatable and tiltable, housing not too bright, not too dark, flicker-free at least 73 Hz, recommended more than 85 Hz pixel repetition frequency.
on 5 uniform supporting points or braked castor wheels, height-adjustable from 42 to 53 cm, office swivel chair with synchronic adjustment is recommendable.
height including keyboard max. 75 cm. Depth in total at least 80 cm, size at least 160 x 80 cm respectively 1,28 m², wrist rest in front of the keyboard at least 10 cm.